Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What are the pros and cons of coupon clipping vs frugel budget shopping?

is it worth coupon clipping compared to just shopping reduced products and shopping discount stores as dollar general perhaps.just really would like to know..so what do you think..?What are the pros and cons of coupon clipping vs frugel budget shopping?
Coupon clipping is worthwhile when you save coupons for products you already use. I don't by something just because I have a coupon for it.


For example, I don't use that canned frosting. So why clip the $1 off coupon.





I do some shopping at a General Dollar store. I've never found a better deal on paper and laundry products. There are some food items I purchase there like sugar, creamer and coffee.





The best overall strategy I've found for saving on grocery store items is to plan menus and buy ahead sale items I know I'll use later on.


For example I bought 24 cans of tomato sauce this week. Hunts. It won't get wasted. I also bought 20 lbs of boneless chicken thighs. They'll get worked into the menu plan over the next couple of months.





I don't drive all over town looking for deals. I have a planned route and hit my favorite three routine shopping spots: Walmart, General Dollar and Bayless Market. Bayless isn't cheap--has great produce.What are the pros and cons of coupon clipping vs frugel budget shopping?
There are several instances that coupon clipping are a good idea.


If the product is something you normally use


If the product is something you planned on trying anyway


if the product can be substituted for something that would normally fit into your menu or snack


If the store allows you to submit your coupons even if you did not buy the item. (not many do that any more)





Where coupons cost you money include


If you purchase a lot of products that you would not normally buy for the coupon.


If the store brand is equally as good as the name brand and cheaper without the coupon





Bottom line, you still have to pay attention you shop.
Clipping coupons is always a good idea...the saved pennies do add up. On the other hand, internet coupons are a total waste of time. Most grocery stores no longer accept them due to the rampant fraud they entail. FYI, the coupons are only saving you money if you get them for free, because sometimes you pay for a newspaper to get them and you don't even read the paper! Hope this helps!
I always clip coupons. A lot of grocery stores will double - and sometimes even triple - coupons, so even a little 25 cent coupon can go a long way. Often, the coupons you see in the paper this weekend will be for items that your grocery store has on sale at the same time, so you get double the savings. I also religiously read my grocery store's weekly ad and shop based on what's on sale and in season. I have walked away with the larger boxes of cereal for 50 cents before at my local Acme because I watched the sales and had my coupons. Coupons and a little planning ahead for the weekly meals means I routinely save between $20 to $40 off my grocery bill each week. It only takes a couple of minutes but I think it's better than dealing with running to various discount stores for a reduced selection of products.
  • gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment